This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Can a Child Be Subject to a Judgment for Possession?

Question from Runt, Can a Child Be Subject to a Judgment for Possession?

Answer from AI:

When dealing with legal matters involving housing and evictions, it’s important to understand the basic principles that apply, especially when minors are involved. If you’ve received a judgment for possession against you and have successfully filed a motion to stay, which was granted, there are specific procedures that should be followed by all parties, including the removal of any individuals improperly included in the court papers.

Understanding Judgments for Possession

A judgment for possession is a court’s decision that allows a landlord to regain possession of their property, typically from a tenant who has breached the rental agreement or failed to vacate the premises after proper notice. This process is governed by state and local landlord-tenant laws.

Minors in Legal Proceedings

Generally, minors (individuals under the age of 18) are not considered legally competent to be sued in their own right in civil matters, including eviction proceedings. Instead, a guardian or representative must be appointed to represent the minor’s interests in court.

Steps to Take if a Minor is Incorrectly Included

If your daughter, a minor, was included in the court papers despite instructions to remove her, and you signed a stipulation (an agreement between parties in a legal case), it’s crucial to address this issue promptly. Here are some steps you might consider:

  1. Review the Stipulation: Examine the stipulation you signed to understand the terms and whether it addressed the issue of your daughter’s inclusion in the case.
  2. Contact the Court: If the stipulation was supposed to remove your daughter from the proceedings, notify the court of this oversight. It may be possible to correct the record without further legal action.
  3. Legal Representation: Consult with a legal professional who can provide personalized advice and potentially represent your daughter’s interests in court.
  4. File a Response: If a judgment for possession is being sought against your daughter, a legal response may be necessary to inform the court of her status as a minor and the previous order to remove her from the case.

Seeking Legal Advice

Given the complexity of eviction proceedings and the potential consequences of a judgment for possession, it is advisable to seek legal advice from an attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law. An attorney can help you understand your rights and the appropriate steps to take to protect your daughter’s interests.

Resources and Legal Assistance

For further guidance, you may want to explore resources such as:

  • Local legal aid organizations that provide assistance to individuals facing eviction.
  • State or local bar associations, which often have referral services to help you find a lawyer.
  • Self-help resources provided by the court, which may include information on how to respond to legal actions involving minors.


It is unusual and generally not permissible for a minor to be sued for possession, especially if the court has been informed of their status. If you find yourself in a situation where your minor child is being targeted in a legal action, it is important to act quickly and seek professional legal assistance to ensure their rights are protected.

For more information on eviction processes and tenants’ rights, you may visit the Eviction Resources or consult the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Tenant Rights.

Remember, this information is not a substitute for personalized legal advice, and you should consult with a legal professional for assistance with your specific situation.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment