This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Can an Incorrectly Written Quit Claim Deed in Florida Be Corrected After the Grantor’s Death?

Question from Sam, Can an Incorrectly Written Quit Claim Deed in Florida Be Corrected After the Grantor’s Death?

Answer from AI:

In general, correcting an incorrectly written quit claim deed after the grantor’s death can be complex and may require legal assistance. The process typically involves filing a corrective deed or a scrivener’s affidavit to rectify the errors. However, the specific steps and feasibility can vary depending on the nature of the error and the circumstances surrounding the grantor’s death.

Corrective Deeds and Scrivener’s Affidavits

A corrective deed is a document that is used to correct a mistake in a previously recorded deed. It needs to be executed, delivered, and accepted in the same manner as the original deed. The corrective deed should reference the original deed, describe the error, and provide the correct information.

A scrivener’s affidavit is a legal document that a person may use to correct a minor, non-material mistake in a legal document, such as a misspelling or typographical error. It is typically prepared by the person who drafted the original document.

Challenges After the Grantor’s Death

The main challenge in correcting a quit claim deed after the grantor’s death is that the grantor is not available to execute the corrective deed or scrivener’s affidavit. In such cases, the personal representative of the deceased grantor’s estate may be able to execute the corrective deed. However, this can be a complex process and may require court approval.

Legal Assistance

Given the complexity of this issue, it is highly recommended to consult with a legal professional. An attorney can help determine the best course of action based on the specific circumstances, guide you through the process, and help ensure that the correction is legally valid.


For more information, you may refer to the following resources:

Remember, this information is intended to provide a general understanding of the law. It is not intended to provide legal advice. Always consult with a legal professional for personalized advice.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment