This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Can Children Enforce a NJ Estate Claim in MA?

Question from ss, Can Children Enforce a NJ Estate Claim in MA?

Answer from AI:

When a person passes away, the distribution of their estate is generally governed by the laws of the state where they were domiciled at the time of death. In this case, the father passed away in Massachusetts, so Massachusetts law would typically apply to the probate of his estate. However, if there is a prior legal agreement from another state, such as a divorce decree from New Jersey, that may complicate matters.

Understanding the Legal Complications

The children from the first marriage may have a claim based on the New Jersey divorce agreement. This agreement, which was presumably part of a court order, required the father to leave half of his estate to his children from that marriage. Such an agreement may be enforceable, but enforcing it could be complex, especially since the father passed away in a different state and the second wife did not file the will for probate.

Steps for the Children of the First Marriage

  1. Consult with an Attorney: The children should consult with an estate attorney who is licensed in Massachusetts and familiar with interstate probate issues. The attorney can advise on the validity and enforceability of the New Jersey court order in Massachusetts.
  2. Consider Jurisdiction: The attorney will consider whether Massachusetts courts will recognize and enforce the New Jersey divorce decree. This may involve principles of full faith and credit, which require states to respect the judicial proceedings of other states.
  3. Probate Proceedings: If the will has not been filed for probate, the children may need to initiate probate proceedings in Massachusetts to have the will recognized and the estate properly administered.
  4. File a Claim: The children may need to file a claim in the Massachusetts probate court asserting their rights under the New Jersey divorce decree.
  5. Interstate Enforcement: If necessary, the children may need to take steps to have the New Jersey court order domesticated in Massachusetts, which would allow it to be enforced as if it were a Massachusetts order.

Considerations and Challenges

  • Statute of Limitations: There may be time limits for filing claims against an estate, so it’s important to act promptly.
  • Validity of the Will: The validity of the will and the divorce decree must be established. If the will contradicts the divorce decree, legal analysis will be required to determine which document takes precedence.
  • Interstate Legal Issues: Enforcing a court order from one state in another can be complex and may require coordination between legal professionals in both states.


The children of the first marriage may have a legal right to a portion of their father’s estate based on the New Jersey divorce agreement. However, enforcing this right in Massachusetts, where the father passed away and where the estate is likely to be probated, will require navigating both states’ legal systems. It is essential for the children to seek legal advice from an attorney with expertise in probate law and interstate legal issues. The attorney can help them understand their rights and the appropriate steps to take to pursue their claim.

For more information on probate laws and procedures, you can refer to the Massachusetts Law about Wills and Estates and the New Jersey Courts Probate Information. It is crucial to consult with a legal professional for personalized advice tailored to the specific circumstances of the case.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment