This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Can I Obtain an Injunction Against Someone Who Falsely Accused Me?

Question from Angelgrove, Can I Obtain an Injunction Against Someone Who Falsely Accused Me?

Answer from AI:

If you have been falsely accused of a felony domestic violence charge, and subsequently acquitted of all charges by a jury, you might be wondering about your legal options, especially if the accuser has an injunction against you. This situation can be complex and emotionally charged, and it’s important to approach it with a clear understanding of the legal landscape, particularly within the jurisdiction of Milwaukee, WI, USA.

Understanding Injunctions

An injunction is a legal order issued by a court that requires a person to do or cease doing a specific action. In the context of domestic violence, an injunction is often sought to protect the petitioner (the person seeking the injunction) from harm or harassment by the respondent (the person the injunction is against).

Can You Seek an Injunction Against the Accuser?

Yes, in theory, you can seek an injunction against anyone, including someone who has falsely accused you of a crime, if you meet the legal requirements for obtaining one. However, the success of obtaining an injunction depends on several factors:

  1. The nature of the false accusations: You would need to demonstrate that the false accusations have caused you harm or that there is a reasonable fear of harm or harassment in the future.
  2. Existing legal protections: The fact that there is already an injunction against you complicates the situation. You would need to carefully navigate the existing legal orders to ensure you do not violate them while seeking your own injunction.
  3. Proof of falsehood: It’s crucial to have concrete evidence that the accusations were indeed false and that the accuser knowingly lied. This could include the acquittal itself, but also any other evidence that was presented during the trial that supports the fact that the accusations were fabricated.

Steps to Take

If you believe you have grounds for an injunction, consider the following steps:

  1. Consult with a legal professional: Given the complexity of your situation, it’s highly recommended to seek advice from an attorney who specializes in family law or criminal defense. They can provide personalized advice and help you navigate the legal system.
  2. Gather evidence: Compile all relevant documents and evidence that support your claim that the accusations were false. This might include court documents, witness statements, and any other evidence presented at your trial.
  3. File a petition: If advised by your attorney, you can file a petition for an injunction at your local court. This will likely involve filling out specific forms and providing evidence to support your case.

Legal Considerations

It’s important to remember that the legal system aims to balance the rights and protections of all individuals involved. Seeking an injunction against someone who has already obtained one against you is legally possible but can be challenging. The court will carefully consider the evidence and circumstances of both parties before making a decision.

For more information on injunctions and how to file one, you can visit the Wisconsin Court System’s self-help resources.


Being falsely accused of a crime is a distressing experience, and navigating the legal aftermath can be daunting. While it is possible to seek an injunction against someone who has falsely accused you, it’s crucial to approach this process with careful consideration and legal support. Remember, this information is not legal advice, and it’s always best to consult with a legal professional for guidance tailored to your specific situation.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment