This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Can I Request Proof of Notice for a Hearing?

Question from V, Can I Request Proof of Notice for a Hearing?

Answer from AI:

When you’re involved in a legal matter, receiving proper notice of all hearings is crucial for ensuring that you have the opportunity to present your case or defense. If an attorney claims to have served you with a notice of hearing and subsequently obtained a default judgment against you because you did not appear, you may find yourself in a challenging situation, especially if you never received such notice. Understanding your rights and the steps you can take in this scenario is essential.

Understanding Service of Notice

Service of notice is a fundamental principle in the legal process, ensuring that all parties are informed of legal actions, hearings, or motions that affect their rights or duties. The rules governing service of notice vary by jurisdiction but generally require that the notice be delivered in a manner reasonably calculated to reach the party in question. This can include personal delivery, mail (often certified or registered), or, in some cases, publication in a newspaper when a party cannot be located.

Is Requesting Proof of Service Appropriate?

Yes, requesting proof of service is appropriate and often necessary if you believe you were not properly notified of a hearing. This request can be considered a part of the discovery process, where parties in a lawsuit are allowed to obtain evidence from each other. In this context, asking for proof of how and when the notice was served (such as a certified mail receipt or affidavit of service) is a reasonable step to verify the claim of service.

Should the Attorney Comply with the Request?

Generally, the attorney should comply with reasonable requests for proof of service, especially if the service’s validity is being contested. If the attorney has evidence of service, such as tracking information or an affidavit from the person who served the notice, they are typically expected to provide this information to demonstrate that proper notice was given.

Filing a Rule 60 Motion

Filing a Rule 60 motion (for relief from a judgment or order) is a step you can take if you believe a default judgment was entered against you due to not receiving proper notice. Rule 60 of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure allows a court to relieve a party from a final judgment, order, or proceeding for various reasons, including:

  1. The judgment is a result of mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect.
  2. Newly discovered evidence that could not have been discovered in time to move for a new trial.
  3. Fraud (whether previously called intrinsic or extrinsic), misrepresentation, or misconduct by an opposing party.
  4. The judgment is void.
  5. The judgment has been satisfied, released, or discharged.

Not receiving a notice of hearing could fall under these categories, particularly if the lack of notice prevented you from participating in the legal process.

Next Steps

If you’re in this situation, consider the following steps:

  • Document your request: Keep a record of your communication with the attorney asking for proof of service.
  • Review the proof provided: If the attorney provides proof of service, review it carefully to determine if the service was indeed carried out according to legal requirements.
  • Seek legal advice: Consulting with a legal professional can provide you with personalized advice and help you understand your options. An attorney can also assist you in challenging the default judgment if appropriate.


Requesting proof of service is a valid and necessary step if you believe you were not properly notified of a legal proceeding. While the attorney should comply with such a request, the effectiveness of your action may depend on the evidence provided and the specific circumstances of your case. If you’re facing this issue, it’s advisable to consult with a legal professional to explore your options and potentially challenge the default judgment.

For more information on service of process and default judgments, you may visit the United States Courts website or consult the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure directly.

Note: This information is intended to provide a general overview and should not be construed as legal advice. Legal situations can vary widely, and it’s important to consult with a legal professional for advice tailored to your specific circumstances.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment