This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Can Unpaid Property Managers Recover Wages?

Question from Jb, Can Unpaid Property Managers Recover Wages?

Answer from AI:

If you have been working as a property manager without receiving compensation, you may be entitled to back pay for your services. In the United States, employment relationships are governed by federal, state, and local laws that establish minimum wage and labor standards. Here are some general guidelines to consider:

Understanding Employment and Labor Laws

  • Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA): This federal law establishes minimum wage, overtime pay eligibility, recordkeeping, and child labor standards affecting full-time and part-time workers in the private sector and in federal, state, and local governments.
  • State Labor Laws: Each state may have its own labor laws that could provide additional protections or higher minimum wage rates than the federal standards.

Steps to Determine What You May Be Owed

  1. Review Your Agreement: Determine if there was a verbal or written agreement regarding your compensation as a property manager. Any emails, texts, or documents that reference your role and expected pay could be relevant.
  2. Document Your Work: Keep a record of the hours you worked, the tasks you performed, and any expenses you incurred while managing the property.
  3. Calculate Potential Wages: Based on the agreed terms or the applicable minimum wage, calculate the total amount you believe you are owed. Include overtime pay if you worked more than 40 hours a week.
  4. Communicate with the Landlord: Sometimes, a direct conversation with the landlord can lead to a resolution. Present your records and calculations and request the unpaid wages.
  5. Seek Legal Advice: If the landlord refuses to pay, consider consulting with an employment attorney who can provide personalized advice and help you understand your rights and options.
  6. File a Wage Claim: You may file a wage claim with the U.S. Department of Labor’s Wage and Hour Division or your state’s labor department.
  7. Consider Legal Action: As a last resort, you may need to file a lawsuit to recover unpaid wages. An attorney can guide you through this process.

When to Seek Legal Advice

It’s important to seek legal advice if:

  • You are unsure about the terms of your employment agreement.
  • The landlord disputes the amount of wages owed or your role as an employee.
  • You need assistance filing a wage claim or lawsuit.

Remember that each situation is unique, and laws vary by state. An attorney can help you navigate the complexities of employment law and ensure that your rights are protected. Legal aid organizations or state labor departments may also offer resources and guidance for individuals in your situation.


Being an unpaid property manager does not necessarily mean you have no recourse. You may be entitled to compensation for your work, but the process for recovering wages can be complex. It’s crucial to gather all relevant information, understand your rights under the law, and seek professional legal advice when necessary.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment