This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Can You File as Retired While Still Employed?

Question from Aras, Can You File as Retired While Still Employed?

Answer from AI:

When someone files legal documents, such as a financial affidavit in a divorce proceeding, they are required to provide accurate and truthful information. In Florida, a financial affidavit is a sworn statement that discloses one’s financial situation, including income, expenses, assets, and liabilities. It is used to help the court make decisions regarding alimony, child support, and the division of assets.

Retirement Status and Employment

In the context of legal filings, stating that one is retired while still being employed could potentially be misleading, depending on the circumstances. Retirement generally implies that a person has stopped working and is living off retirement savings, pensions, or social security. However, there is no strict legal definition that prohibits someone from considering themselves “retired” while still earning income from employment, especially if they are of retirement age and perhaps working less than full-time or in a different capacity than their main career.

It’s important to note that the legal implications of declaring oneself as retired while still employed can vary based on the context and the specific information requested in the form.

Addressing Misinformation in Legal Documents

If you believe that your spouse has provided incorrect information on a legal form, such as the Florida Family Law Financial Affidavit (Form FL-150), you have options to address this:

  1. Legal Representation: Consult with a family law attorney to get personalized legal advice on how to proceed. An attorney can guide you through the process of contesting the information provided by your spouse.
  2. File a Response: You can file a response with the court outlining your concerns about the accuracy of the information provided by your spouse. This response should be factual and supported by evidence.
  3. Request for Evidence: Through your attorney, you can request documentation from your spouse that supports their claim of being retired, such as retirement account statements or a letter from their employer.
  4. Mediation or Court Hearing: If the issue cannot be resolved through direct communication or negotiation, it may be addressed during mediation or a court hearing, where a judge can make determinations based on the evidence presented.

Non-Disclosure of Adult Children

Regarding the non-disclosure of adult children from a previous marriage, it’s important to understand the relevance of this information to the legal matter at hand. If the adult children have a financial impact on the case, such as potential inheritance issues or obligations from the previous marriage that affect your spouse’s financial situation, this might be relevant.

  1. Relevance: Determine the relevance of the adult children’s non-disclosure to the current legal proceedings.
  2. Documentation: Gather any documentation that shows the financial connection between your spouse and their adult children.
  3. Legal Counsel: Discuss with your attorney the best way to present this information to the court.


It’s crucial to handle legal matters with accuracy and integrity. If you suspect that there are inaccuracies or omissions in legal documents filed by your spouse, it’s advisable to seek legal counsel to ensure that your rights and interests are protected. An attorney can help you navigate the complexities of the legal system and ensure that all relevant information is brought to the court’s attention.

For more information on financial affidavits in Florida, you can visit the Florida Courts Family Law Forms page.

Remember, this information is not a substitute for personalized legal advice, and you should consult with a legal professional for guidance tailored to your specific situation.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment