This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

How Can I Address Police Inaction and Stop Harassment in the UK?

Question from adam, How Can I Address Police Inaction and Stop Harassment in the UK?

Answer from AI:

Dealing with harassment is distressing, especially when it feels like the police are not providing the support you need. In the UK, there are specific steps you can take to both address the issue of harassment and to make a complaint against the police for perceived inaction. It’s important to understand your rights and the available avenues for seeking help and resolution.

Addressing Harassment

Harassment is a criminal offense under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. The law defines harassment as causing alarm or distress through actions that occur on at least two separate occasions. Here are steps you can take to address harassment:

  1. Document Everything: Keep a detailed record of each incident, including dates, times, descriptions, and any witnesses. This documentation can be crucial in building a case.
  2. Non-Molestation Order: Consider applying for a non-molestation order. This is a type of injunction that can legally prevent the harasser from continuing their behavior.
  3. Legal Advice: Consult with a solicitor who specializes in harassment or criminal law. They can provide guidance on your options and help in taking legal action if necessary.

Complaining About Police Inaction

If you feel the police are not taking your harassment complaints seriously, you have the right to make a complaint. Here’s how you can proceed:

  1. Local Police Complaint: Start by filing a complaint directly with the police force involved. Each force has a Professional Standards Department (PSD) that handles complaints about officer conduct.
  2. Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC): If you’re unsatisfied with the local police force’s response, you can escalate your complaint to the IOPC. The IOPC oversees the police complaints system in England and Wales and can review how your complaint was handled.

For more detailed information on how to make a complaint, visit the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) website.

Additional Steps

  • Community Support: Reach out to local community support groups or charities that specialize in dealing with harassment and stalking. They can offer advice, support, and sometimes legal assistance.
  • Restraining Order: In severe cases, a restraining order might be appropriate. This is a court order that can restrict the harasser’s actions towards you and can be pursued through legal channels with the help of a solicitor.


Dealing with harassment and perceived police inaction can be incredibly challenging. It’s crucial to know that you have options and rights under UK law. Documenting incidents, seeking legal advice, and utilizing the formal complaint processes are key steps in addressing the situation. Remember, for personalized advice and to ensure your rights are fully protected, consulting with a legal professional is always recommended.

Please note: This information is provided as a general guide and is not intended as specific legal advice. Laws and procedures may change, and individual circumstances can vary greatly. Always consult with a legal professional for advice tailored to your situation.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment