This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

How Can I Legally Prevent Someone from Contacting My Family in the UK?

Question from Human Bean, How Can I Legally Prevent Someone from Contacting My Family in the UK?

Answer from AI:

If you’re looking to legally prevent someone from contacting or coming near your family in the UK, particularly in situations involving harassment or potential harm, there are several legal avenues you can explore. It’s important to understand that while general guidance can be provided, each situation is unique. Therefore, consulting with a legal professional for personalized advice is strongly recommended.

Understanding Harassment and Legal Protections

Harassment is defined under the Protection from Harassment Act 1997 as causing alarm or distress through unwanted behaviour. This can include, but is not limited to, unwanted contact, defamation, and threats. The law provides mechanisms to protect individuals and their families from such behaviour.

Steps to Take

  1. Gather Evidence: Document all instances of unwanted contact, harassment, or defamation. This includes saving emails, recording dates and times of incidents, and keeping any physical evidence.
  2. Non-Legal Measures: If safe and feasible, communicate clearly to the individual that their behaviour is unwanted and must stop. Sometimes, a clear boundary can deter further contact.
  3. Report to the Police: If the harassment continues, report it to the police. In cases where there is immediate danger, contact the police right away. The police can issue warnings and, if necessary, pursue criminal charges.
  4. Legal Orders: There are two main types of orders you can apply for to legally prevent someone from contacting or approaching you and your family:
    • Non-Molestation Order: This order is designed to prevent harassment or violence. It can prohibit someone from contacting you directly or indirectly and from coming near your home.
    • Restraining Order: Usually issued after someone has been convicted of a criminal offence, but in some circumstances, it can be applied for separately. It restricts the behaviour of the individual in question to protect the victim from further harm.
  5. Seek Legal Advice: Contact a solicitor who specializes in family law or harassment cases. They can guide you through the process of applying for the appropriate order and represent you in court if necessary.

Additional Resources

For more information on the legal definitions and protections against harassment, you can visit the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. Additionally, organizations such as Citizens Advice offer free guidance and may help you understand your options and next steps.


Dealing with unwanted contact, especially from a family member, can be distressing and complex. While the steps outlined above provide a general guide, the specifics of each case can vary widely. It’s crucial to consult with a legal professional who can provide advice tailored to your situation. Remember, you have the right to protect yourself and your family from harassment and harm.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment