This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

How to File a Motion to Relieve Counsel in Oregon?

Question from Cash Lacrash, How to File a Motion to Relieve Counsel in Oregon?

Answer from AI:

If you believe that your attorney is not representing your best interests or is neglecting to disclose facts from discovery in Columbia County, Oregon, you may consider filing a motion to withdraw as counsel. This is a formal request to the court asking for permission to end the attorney-client relationship. Here are the general steps and considerations:

Understanding the Motion to Withdraw as Counsel

A motion to withdraw as counsel is a legal document filed with the court by either an attorney wishing to withdraw from a case or by a client wishing to relieve their attorney of their duties. In your case, since you are the client who is dissatisfied with your attorney’s performance, you would be looking to file a motion to relieve counsel.

Steps to File a Motion to Relieve Counsel

  1. Review Your Retainer Agreement: Check the agreement you signed with your attorney for any clauses related to termination of services and follow any outlined procedures.
  2. Communicate with Your Attorney: It’s often recommended to discuss your concerns with your attorney first. They may be able to address your issues or agree to withdraw without the need for a court motion.
  3. Prepare the Motion: If direct communication doesn’t resolve the issue, you will need to draft a motion to the court. This document should explain your reasons for requesting a new counsel, such as lack of representation or failure to disclose discovery.
  4. File the Motion: Submit the completed motion to the clerk of the court where your case is being heard. In Columbia County, this would be the Columbia County Circuit Court.
  5. Serve the Motion: Provide a copy of the motion to your current attorney and all other parties involved in the case.
  6. Attend the Hearing: The court will schedule a hearing where you can present your reasons for wanting to relieve your counsel. Be prepared to explain your position and provide any evidence of your claims.

Considerations When Filing the Motion

  • Timing: Consider the timing of your request, as changing attorneys can delay your case. Courts may be less willing to grant your motion if it would cause significant disruption to the proceedings.
  • Grounds for Withdrawal: You must have valid grounds for the motion. Simply being unhappy with your attorney’s personality or general approach may not be sufficient.
  • Representation: Think about your representation going forward. If the court grants your motion, you will need to find a new attorney or represent yourself.

Seeking Legal Advice

It’s important to note that while the above steps provide a general guideline, legal proceedings can be complex, and the success of such a motion can depend on many factors. You may want to consult with another attorney for advice on how to proceed. They can help you understand the likelihood of success for your motion and assist with drafting and filing the document.


For more information on the rules and procedures specific to Columbia County, you can refer to the Oregon Rules of Civil Procedure. Additionally, the Oregon State Bar provides resources that may be helpful in understanding your rights and options.

Remember, this information is not legal advice, and it’s always best to consult with a legal professional for personalized guidance related to your situation.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 1 Average: 5]

Leave a Comment