This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

How to Obtain Joint Loan Statements from Your Credit Union in Canada

Question from Oo, How to Obtain Joint Loan Statements from Your Credit Union in Canada

Answer from AI:

When you’re a co-borrower on a joint loan, having access to loan statements is crucial for monitoring the loan’s status, understanding your financial responsibilities, and ensuring that payments are made on time. In Canada, financial institutions, including credit unions, are generally required to provide borrowers with access to their loan information. If your credit union is refusing to provide statements for a joint loan you are responsible for, there are several steps you can take to address the issue.

Understanding Your Rights

First, it’s important to understand your rights as a co-borrower. Under Canadian banking regulations, all borrowers have the right to receive information about their loan, including balance, payment history, and interest rates. This is essential for transparency and for borrowers to manage their debts effectively.

Steps to Take

If you’re facing difficulties obtaining your joint loan statements, consider the following steps:

  1. Review Your Loan Agreement: Your loan agreement should outline the terms regarding statement availability and frequency. Sometimes, the issue might be as simple as statements being sent to the other co-borrower’s address or email. Understanding the terms can help you clarify your rights to access the loan statements.
  2. Contact Your Credit Union: Reach out to your credit union directly. It’s possible there may have been a misunderstanding or an administrative error. Clearly explain your situation and your need for the loan statements. Keep a record of all communications for future reference.
  3. File a Formal Complaint: If direct communication does not resolve the issue, consider filing a formal complaint with your credit union. Most financial institutions have an internal complaint resolution process. Information on how to file a complaint is usually available on their website.
  4. Seek External Resolution: If your complaint is not resolved to your satisfaction within a reasonable timeframe, you can escalate the issue to an external body. In Canada, this could be the Ombudsman for Banking Services and Investments (OBSI) or the Financial Consumer Agency of Canada (FCAC). These organizations can investigate complaints about financial services and offer resolutions.
  5. Legal Advice: As a last resort, you may consider seeking legal advice. A lawyer can provide guidance based on the specifics of your situation and may suggest legal action if your rights are being infringed upon.

Additional Resources

For more information on your rights and how to proceed, the following resources can be helpful:


Obtaining loan statements is your right as a co-borrower. If your credit union is not providing these statements, it’s important to take action. Start by communicating directly with the credit union and escalate the issue as needed. Remember, consulting with a legal professional can provide you with personalized advice tailored to your specific situation.

Note: This information is intended as a general guide and should not be considered legal advice. Laws and regulations can vary by province and may change over time. If you are experiencing difficulties, consider consulting a legal professional to discuss your particular circumstances.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment