This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Must Landlords in Cleveland Provide Itemized Deposit Deductions?

Question from Ss, Must Landlords in Cleveland Provide Itemized Deposit Deductions?

Answer from AI:

When you rent a property in Cleveland, Ohio, your security deposit serves as a financial guarantee for the landlord against any damage you might cause to the property or any unpaid rent. Upon moving out, you may wonder about the specifics of any deductions taken from your deposit. Here’s what you should know about your rights regarding an itemized bill for these charges.

Ohio Security Deposit Law

In Ohio, landlords are required by law to return a tenant’s security deposit within 30 days after the tenant has moved out and returned the keys. If there are any deductions from the deposit, the landlord must provide an itemized statement listing the reasons for these deductions. This requirement is outlined in the Ohio Revised Code Section 5321.16.

What Should the Itemized Statement Include?

The itemized statement should detail the following:

  • The specific damages or issues that are the reason for each deduction.
  • The cost associated with repairing these damages or addressing the issues.
  • Any unpaid rent or fees that are being covered by the deposit.

What If the Landlord Fails to Provide an Itemized Statement?

If a landlord does not provide an itemized statement along with any remaining portion of the security deposit within the 30-day period, they may be liable to the tenant for damages. Specifically, the tenant may be entitled to recover:

  • The amount wrongfully withheld, and
  • Potentially, damages equal to twice the amount of the security deposit.

Steps to Request an Itemized Bill

If you have not received an itemized statement and it has been more than 30 days since you moved out, consider taking the following steps:

  1. Send a written request to your landlord asking for the itemized list of deductions from your security deposit.
  2. Keep a copy of this request for your records.
  3. If the landlord fails to respond, you may need to consider small claims court or seek legal advice.

When to Seek Legal Advice

If you encounter issues with receiving your security deposit or an itemized statement of deductions, it may be necessary to consult with a legal professional. A lawyer can provide personalized advice and help you understand your rights and options under Ohio law. They can also assist you in taking legal action if necessary.

For more information on Ohio’s laws regarding security deposits, you can visit the Ohio Revised Code.

Remember, while this information provides a general guideline, it is not a substitute for professional legal advice. If you are dealing with a security deposit dispute, consider contacting a local attorney who specializes in landlord-tenant law.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment