This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Must You Follow the Original Visitation Order While Seeking a Modification?

Question from Guy, Must You Follow the Original Visitation Order While Seeking a Modification?

Answer from AI:

When a parent files a motion to modify a court-ordered parental visitation agreement, it can create a period of uncertainty and conflict. Understanding how the legal process works in these situations is crucial for both parents to ensure they are acting within the law and in the best interest of their child.

Compliance with the Original Agreement

Yes, you must continue to comply with the original court-ordered agreement until a judge officially modifies the order. This is a fundamental principle in family law across the United States. The rationale behind this rule is to maintain stability and consistency for the child involved and to uphold the authority of court orders.

Legal Implications of Non-Compliance

Refusing to comply with a court-ordered visitation schedule can have serious legal consequences, including but not limited to:

  • Contempt of court charges, which may result in fines or even jail time.
  • A negative impact on the outcome of the motion to modify the visitation agreement. Courts may view non-compliance unfavorably when considering the best interests of the child.
  • Potential loss of custody or visitation rights.

Steps to Take If the Other Parent Is Not Complying

If your ex-wife is refusing to comply with the court-ordered visitation schedule, here are some steps you can take:

  1. Document the Non-Compliance: Keep detailed records of each instance of refused visitation, including dates, times, and any communication with the other parent.
  2. Attempt to Resolve the Issue Amicably: Sometimes, direct communication can resolve misunderstandings or disputes without further legal action.
  3. Seek Legal Advice: Consult with a family law attorney to understand your options and the best course of action. An attorney can help you file a motion for enforcement of the visitation order.
  4. Consider Mediation: Mediation can be a less adversarial and more cost-effective way to resolve visitation disputes. Both parties work with a neutral mediator to reach an agreement.
  5. File a Motion for Contempt: If amicable resolution is not possible, you may need to file a motion for contempt with the court, asking the judge to enforce the visitation order and address the non-compliance.

Seeking a Modification of the Visitation Order

It’s important to note that either parent has the right to request a modification of the visitation order if there has been a significant change in circumstances that affects the best interest of the child. However, until a judge approves the modification, the original order remains in effect.


Navigating the complexities of family law and visitation issues can be challenging. It’s essential to understand that the legal system prioritizes the well-being of children and respects the authority of court orders. If you’re facing issues with visitation agreements, consider seeking legal advice to explore your options and ensure that your actions are in compliance with the law.

For more information on modifying child custody and visitation orders, you can visit the U.S. Courts website or consult a local family law attorney.

Remember, this information is not legal advice, and it’s important to consult with a legal professional for guidance tailored to your specific situation.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 1 Average: 4]

Leave a Comment