This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

What Are My Rights If My Employer Ignores a Disability Accommodation Request?

Question from Meme, What Are My Rights If My Employer Ignores a Disability Accommodation Request?

Answer from AI:

If you have a disability and have requested accommodations from your employer, you are protected under various laws, including the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). The ADA requires employers to provide reasonable accommodations to qualified employees with disabilities, unless doing so would cause undue hardship to the employer.

Understanding Your Rights Under the ADA

The ADA applies to employers with 15 or more employees and protects individuals with disabilities from discrimination in the workplace. This includes the right to reasonable accommodations that allow an employee to perform their job duties.

Steps to Take If Your Employer Ignores Your Request

  1. Document Your Request: Ensure that you have a written record of your accommodation request. This can be an email, a letter, or any other form of written communication.
  2. Follow Up: If you haven’t received a response, follow up with your employer. It’s possible that your request was overlooked or not received.
  3. Internal Complaint: If following up doesn’t work, you may need to file an internal complaint according to your company’s policies.
  4. Seek Legal Advice: If you believe your rights have been violated, it may be time to consult with an attorney who specializes in employment law or disability rights.
  5. File a Charge: You can file a charge of discrimination with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) or the Montana Human Rights Bureau. There are strict time limits for filing a charge, so it’s important to act promptly.

Does Ignoring a Request Mean You No Longer Have a Job?

Ignoring a request for accommodations does not automatically mean you no longer have a job. However, if your employer is not engaging in an interactive process to determine a reasonable accommodation, they may be in violation of the ADA.

What to Do Next

  • Communicate: Continue to communicate with your employer and document all interactions.
  • Legal Consultation: Consider consulting with a lawyer to discuss your specific situation and potential legal options.
  • File a Charge: If necessary, file a charge with the appropriate agency. For the EEOC, you can find information on how to file a charge of discrimination.


It’s important to remember that you have rights under the ADA, and your employer is required to respond to your request for reasonable accommodations. If you feel your rights have been violated, you should seek legal advice to explore your options. The Montana Human Rights Bureau is also a resource that can provide guidance on state-specific protections for individuals with disabilities.

Remember, this information is not a substitute for personalized legal advice. It’s always best to consult with a legal professional who can provide advice tailored to your unique circumstances.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 1 Average: 5]

Leave a Comment