This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

What are the rights of the remaining joint tenant in a property dispute in New Zealand?

Question from Jeremy, What are the rights of the remaining joint tenant in a property dispute in New Zealand?

Answer from AI:

Understanding Joint Tenancy and Tenancy in Common

In New Zealand, when two or more people own a property together, they can do so as either joint tenants or tenants in common. According to Section 61 of the Land Transfer Act 1952, if no specific form of ownership is stated, the property is registered as a joint tenancy.

In a joint tenancy, all owners have equal rights to the entire property. When one joint tenant dies, their interest in the property automatically passes to the surviving joint tenant(s), a process known as the right of survivorship. This happens regardless of any provisions in the deceased’s will.

Impact of the Will and Loan Agreement

The deceased friend’s will and loan agreement complicate matters. While a will can specify who should inherit a person’s assets, it does not override the right of survivorship in a joint tenancy. Therefore, the spouse’s claim to the deceased’s share of the house may not be valid.

The loan agreement, however, could potentially affect the remaining friend’s ownership of the house. If the loan company was given the right to claim the deceased’s entire interest in the house, they may have a claim against the property. However, this would depend on the specific terms of the loan agreement and whether it was legally enforceable.

Seeking Legal Advice

Given the complexity of this situation, the remaining friend should consult with a legal professional. They can provide personalized advice based on the specifics of the case, including the terms of the will and loan agreement.

General Steps to Take

  • Review the documents: The remaining friend should review the will and loan agreement to understand their terms and implications.
  • Seek legal advice: A lawyer can provide advice on how the law applies to this situation and what options are available.
  • Consider mediation: If the parties cannot agree, they may want to consider mediation or other forms of dispute resolution before resorting to court proceedings.


While the remaining friend may have a strong claim to the house due to the right of survivorship, the will and loan agreement complicate matters. Therefore, it’s crucial to seek legal advice to understand the potential outcomes and decide on the best course of action.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment