This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

What Should I Do After a Hit and Run by a City Bus?

Question from Cupcake, What Should I Do After a Hit and Run by a City Bus?

Answer from AI:

If you’ve been involved in a hit and run accident with a city bus while driving your work truck, there are several steps you should take to protect your rights and interests. Here’s a general guide on what to do:

Immediately After the Incident

  • Ensure Safety: First, make sure you are safe and out of harm’s way. If you need medical attention, call for emergency services.
  • Report the Accident: Call the police immediately to report the hit and run. It’s crucial to have a police report for insurance and legal purposes.
  • Document the Scene: If possible, take photos of the damage to your vehicle, the surrounding area, and any skid marks or debris that may help reconstruct the incident.
  • Witness Information: Collect contact information from any witnesses who saw the accident.

Following the Incident

  • Contact Your Employer: Inform your supervisor or the appropriate person within your company about the incident, as they may need to take specific actions regarding the company vehicle.
  • Insurance Notification: Notify your insurance company about the accident. They will guide you through their claims process.
  • Keep Records: Maintain a file with all documentation related to the accident, including the police report, photos, witness statements, and any medical records if you were injured.

Dealing with the City’s Responsibility

Since the vehicle involved is a city bus, there may be additional considerations due to the fact that the city government or a public transit authority operates it. This can sometimes make the claims process more complex due to governmental immunity and specific procedures for filing claims against government entities.

  • Notice of Claim: Many jurisdictions require a formal notice of claim to be filed before you can sue a government entity. This notice must typically be filed within a specific time frame after the incident.
  • Government Immunity: Be aware that government entities may have certain protections against lawsuits, known as sovereign immunity. However, there are often exceptions for vehicle accidents.
  • Legal Advice: Because of the complexities involved in accidents with government vehicles, it’s advisable to consult with a lawyer who has experience in this area of law.

Seeking Compensation

If the city bus driver is found to be at fault, you may be entitled to compensation for damages to the work truck, any personal injuries, and other losses. Your lawyer can help you understand your rights and the appropriate legal actions to take, such as negotiating with the city’s insurance or filing a lawsuit if necessary.


Dealing with a hit and run involving a city bus can be a complex process. It’s important to act promptly, document everything, and seek professional legal advice to navigate the claims process and any potential legal proceedings. Remember that each case is unique, and the information provided here is general in nature. For personalized advice, please consult with a legal professional.

Note: The information provided here is not legal advice but a general guide to help you understand the steps you might take after a hit and run involving a city bus. Legal outcomes can vary greatly based on the specifics of the case and local laws.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment