This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

Where to Sue if an Attorney Quits an ADA Case?

Question from Abby, Where to Sue if an Attorney Quits an ADA Case?

Answer from AI:

When an attorney working on an Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) disability case quits, you may be considering legal action for breach of contract. Determining whether to file a lawsuit in federal or state court depends on several factors, including the nature of the contract, the reasons for the attorney’s withdrawal, and the jurisdictional rules that apply.

Understanding Jurisdiction

Jurisdiction refers to a court’s authority to hear and decide a case. Here are some general guidelines to consider:

  • Federal Court Jurisdiction: Federal courts have jurisdiction over cases involving federal laws, such as the ADA. However, a breach of contract claim against an attorney for quitting a case is typically a state law matter unless the contract specifies otherwise or there are other federal law issues involved.
  • State Court Jurisdiction: State courts generally have jurisdiction over breach of contract claims. Since the contract for legal services is likely governed by state law, state court is often the appropriate venue for such disputes.

Factors to Consider

Before deciding where to file a lawsuit, consider the following:

  • Nature of the Contract: Review the attorney-client agreement to see if it includes any provisions about dispute resolution or jurisdiction.
  • Reasons for Withdrawal: Attorneys can withdraw from cases for various reasons, some of which may be legally permissible. Understanding the reason for withdrawal is important in assessing the viability of a breach of contract claim.
  • Diversity Jurisdiction: If the parties are from different states and the amount in controversy exceeds $75,000, the case might be eligible for federal court under diversity jurisdiction.
  • Supplemental Jurisdiction: If you have other claims related to the ADA case that fall under federal jurisdiction, the federal court might also hear the breach of contract claim under supplemental jurisdiction.

Seeking Legal Advice

It’s important to consult with a new attorney to get personalized legal advice on this matter. An attorney can help you understand:

  • The terms of your contract with the former attorney.
  • The legal standards for attorney withdrawal in your jurisdiction.
  • The most strategic venue for filing your lawsuit.

Self-Help Resources

If you’re considering self-representation, you may want to explore self-help resources provided by courts or legal aid organizations. These resources can offer guidance on filing a lawsuit and representing yourself in court.


Deciding whether to file a breach of contract lawsuit in federal or state court requires careful consideration of the specific circumstances of your case. While this information provides a general overview, it is not a substitute for legal advice. For assistance tailored to your situation, please consult with a qualified attorney.

For more information on the ADA, you can visit the ADA official website. For general information on filing a lawsuit, the U.S. Courts website provides resources for individuals representing themselves.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment