This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

How Can We Expedite a Pending Citizenship Case with USCIS?

Question from Superdrew, How Can We Expedite a Pending Citizenship Case with USCIS?

Answer from AI:

When dealing with a pending citizenship case with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) that has been delayed for an extended period, such as over five years, there are several steps you can take to try to get an answer or expedite the process.

Check the Status of Your Case

  • First, regularly check the status of your case online using the receipt number provided by USCIS. This can be done through the USCIS Case Status Online tool.
  • If you have not done so already, create an account on the USCIS website to receive electronic updates and case alerts.

Contact USCIS

  • Call the USCIS Contact Center at 1-800-375-5283 to inquire about the delay. Be prepared with your case number and personal details.
  • If the standard channels are not helpful, consider reaching out to the USCIS Ombudsman. The Ombudsman’s office can assist individuals having problems with USCIS and may be able to provide information about your case status.

Request Congressional Assistance

  • Contact your local U.S. Senator or Representative’s office. They often have liaison staff who can inquire about the status of your case with USCIS on your behalf.

Submit an Inquiry About a Case Outside Normal Processing Time

  • If your case is outside the normal processing time, you can submit an “outside normal processing time” inquiry through the USCIS website or by contacting the USCIS Contact Center.

Consider Legal Action

  • If all else fails, you may need to consider a legal action known as a writ of mandamus. This is a lawsuit filed in federal court that asks the court to compel USCIS to make a decision on your case.
  • Before taking this step, it is highly recommended to consult with an immigration attorney who can provide personalized advice and assess the viability of this option.

Additional Tips

  • Keep records of all communications with USCIS, including reference numbers, dates, and summaries of conversations.
  • Stay informed about any changes in immigration laws or policies that might affect your case.
  • Ensure that USCIS has your current address and contact information. If you have moved, submit a change of address to USCIS promptly.

It’s important to note that immigration cases can be complex and subject to various factors that may cause delays. While the above steps can help you seek a resolution, they do not guarantee an immediate response or favorable outcome. For specific guidance tailored to your situation, consulting with an experienced immigration attorney is advisable. They can provide legal advice, help navigate the system, and, if necessary, represent you in legal proceedings.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment