This answer is written by AI. The information provided in this response is intended for general informational purposes only and should not be considered as legal advice. Do not rely solely on the information provided in this response for any legal decisions. Consult with a qualified legal professional before making any decisions.

What Can I Do If My Employer Ignores Workplace Altercations?

Question from Juan, What Can I Do If My Employer Ignores Workplace Altercations?

Answer from AI:

When you’re facing repeated verbal altercations at work and your employer fails to address these issues, it can feel isolating and stressful. Understanding your rights and the steps you can take is crucial in such situations. Here’s a general guide on how to navigate this challenging scenario.

Understanding Your Rights

First, it’s important to recognize that employees have the right to a safe and healthy work environment. This includes protection from harassment and bullying, which can sometimes encompass verbal altercations, depending on their nature and frequency.

Legal Framework

In the United States, several laws might come into play, including:

  • Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) regulations, which require employers to provide a safe workplace.
  • Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, if the altercations are based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin.
  • The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and The Age Discrimination in Employment Act (ADEA), if the altercations involve discrimination on these bases.

Steps to Take

If your employer is not addressing verbal altercations, consider the following steps:

  1. Document Everything: Keep a detailed record of each incident, including dates, times, witnesses, and what was said or done. This documentation can be crucial for any future actions you might take.
  2. Review Company Policies: Look into your employer’s policies on workplace conduct, harassment, and grievance procedures. These are often found in an employee handbook or on the company’s intranet.
  3. Formal Complaint: If you haven’t already, file a formal complaint with your HR department or according to your company’s grievance procedure. Use your documentation to support your complaint.
  4. External Complaint: If internal complaints don’t lead to action, you might consider filing a complaint with a relevant government agency. For workplace safety issues, OSHA is a potential avenue. For discrimination or harassment, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) can be appropriate. Visit the EEOC’s website for more information on filing a complaint.
  5. Seek Legal Advice: Consulting with an attorney who specializes in employment law can provide you with guidance tailored to your specific situation. They can advise on the viability of legal action against your employer.


When deciding how to proceed, consider:

  • The severity and frequency of the altercations.
  • Any impact on your mental and physical health.
  • The potential outcomes of taking formal action, both within your workplace and legally.

It’s important to consult with a legal professional for personalized advice, as they can offer insights specific to your situation and jurisdiction. Legal action can have significant implications, and professional guidance is crucial in navigating these complex issues.


Dealing with unresolved verbal altercations at work can be challenging, but understanding your rights and the steps you can take empowers you to seek a resolution. Whether through internal procedures, government agencies, or legal action, options are available to address your situation. Remember, consulting with a legal professional can provide you with the tailored advice necessary to make informed decisions.

Click to rate this post!
[Total: 0 Average: 0]

Leave a Comment